Wednesday, August 8, 2012

One Week

Hi All,

It was another good day.  Meara is her normal self.  I know, odd considering the situation.  She has a bunch of electrode wires coming out of her head but she is moving around like she is her normal four year old self.   The only bummer…no seizures.  Praying that we will see some soon.  Today marks exactly one week that we have been in the hospital.  

I've written in previous posts that there is a huge awakening that has occurred in our lives.  I think that showing a constant flow of gratitude is the least that we can do to recognize the love that we have given and received throughout this experience and in life in general.  When I think of those who are desperate and hungry, unloved, tormented, homeless, trapped in a life of hopelessness and despair I am instantly moved to wrap them in the warmth of love and prayer.  I see families here at the hospital who are greatly affected by their unique challenges in living life.  Some are well taken care of, others are struggling to make ends meet and to meet the basic needs of their children.  We are fortunate to never go hungry and to always have a roof over our head.  I pray that those who are struggling have their needs met and find hope in others' generosity and warmth.  I feel changed forever.  From this day forward I will live my life in constant pursuit of awareness and compassion for others.  There is no alternative.

Blessings surround us.  It may be present in small or big gestures.  It might be as short as a blink or it might something that takes decades to unravel.  I am grateful for my parents who spent the last few weeks taking care of Ainsley and being there to support us so that we can focus our energy and attention on Meara.  I am very lucky to have my parents.  I am very thankful for everything my parents have done.  Meara and Ainsley (and my beautiful niece Presley) are very lucky to have them as grandparents.  My Dad headed back to Florida this afternoon.  He made it home safely.  Thanks Dad for being there for me.

I've been thinking more about the fact that if we live in a world that is loving (which I do believe that this is something that can be a reality) then why would situations that are rich with trauma and strife exist?  I'm only beginning to explore the possibility that the reason might be to ignite a deep, heartfelt healing that reveals beauty, meaning, and eternal peace.  I know, I know.  Paradox.  Ying, Yang.  Etc.  Well, like I said…maybe this is part of the journey.  

I have an amazing wife who displays courage and strength even when she is standing at the summit on her own.  I don't know what I did to deserve someone who has qualities that I will spend an entire lifetime trying to cultivate and express but I know that I won't ever let her go and that I will never go to sleep at night taking her for granted.  Her magnificence, her awareness of what is important in life has provided a compass for our family.  Instead of telling her life what she intends to do with it, she listens.  She is a talented listener.  Thank you for reminding us what is important in life .

Meara was super excited to receive a huge backpack full of toys and activities today from Bags of Fun. Check them out at www.BagsofFun.org.  See the picture below of Meara with the backpack.

Thank you to Beth and Emily for the delicious muffins and bread that Meara thoroughly enjoyed!

Thank you to Patti and Emily for the very cool Graeme Base book and the stuffed animal.  Thank you for taking the time to drive down and visit Meara and spend time with us in meaningful conversation.  We are grateful for the time with you this morning.  It provided much needed strength.

More pictures below. 

Much Love and Peace to everyone,
Aaron & Megan









No comments:

Post a Comment